View Single Post
Old September 27 2013, 05:08 PM   #75
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: The episode "Distant Origin"

Pavonis wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Did it occur that both of you guys aren't too far apart from each other? You both concede that bones survive over 65 million years, you both concede that some of our materials will survive over 65 million years. You both concede it'll be the vast minority of those things.
There's no "concession" that bones will survive over 65 million years. For one thing, fossils aren't bones. I've already explained that. For another thing, Tiberius seems to be under the impression that our civilization will leave huge buildings and other impressive artifacts intact across millions of years, so that non-human intelligences would be able to recognize our existence. That's just not going to happen. I would recommend he watch a show called Life After People to get a sense of how fast human-made structures decay without maintenance.
I saw Life After People, and it was one of the most depressing things I've ever seen. I hadn't realized what would happen if all humans suddenly disappeared and there was nobody around to maintain the nuclear reactors, etc. Never mind the skyscrapers rusting and falling apart - the lack of any way to make sure that radiation wouldn't cause widespread death to the remaining life is what got me.

There is quite a difference in how organic and inorganic (ie. metal and plastic) react chemically and how relatively strong they are.

Maybe in time we will discover a way to preserve Our Stuff in such a way that it would last longer than the oldest known human artifacts, but we don't know how to do that yet. As the documentary said: if we humans disappeared tomorrow, it wouldn't take long for there to be very little, if any, trace of our civilization.

Chemistry and geophysics would do the rest.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote