View Single Post
Old September 27 2013, 02:17 AM   #271
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Scaling the Excelsior Filming Model

And now for something a bit heretical...

The Excelsior is 622 meters long, per her window alignment.

The refit Enterprise is about 415 meters long, or 2/3 the Excelsior's length as their relational sizes were intended.

The Oberth would be about 300 meters long, give or take, and would probably work out well for the Tsiolkovsky.

I quite honestly haven't figured the Miranda's length, but I had her cross section handy so I went ahead and threw her in. I'd guess her to be around 300 meters long too.

Quite honestly, I don't hate it. I know the size of the refit was fairly well pinned down by Mr. Probert, but blssdwlf has proven that interior details point to a ship somewhat bigger on the inside to include the cargo/shuttlebay complex.

Plus, I don't think the Galaxy looks entirely too small next to any of them, which was a main fear of mine. The Excelsior is still mostly nacelle, and the Galaxy still has more livable interior space. Even more interestingly, I suspect scaling a Constellation similarly would match some of the janky scaling seen in "The Battle" et al.

Thoughts?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote