View Single Post
Old September 27 2013, 01:05 AM   #698
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

Thanks for posting all that, Christopher! A few observations:

I can't resist pointing out that The Devil's Bride, Burn Witch Burn, Master of the World, House of Usher, The Pit and the Pendulum, and The Raven were all scripted by the late Richard Matheson.

The House of Seven Corpses: Yeah, much less classic than The Haunting. Trust me on this. I wasn't able to sit through it, and I have a huge tolerance for old horror movies.

London After Midnight: Since this film is sadly lost, I'm guessing this is the "recreation" TCM aired a few years back. It's not the actual movie, but an attempt to recreate the movie using the surviving still photos and title cards.

The Mask of Fu Manchu: This is actually pulpy fun, and Myrna Loy is memorable as Fu's sexually depraved daughter---IF you can overlook the jaw-dropping racism. ("We will destroy the white man and take his women!") I understand that's a very big If.

Lots of good stuff, although pretty much the same mix TCM has been showing for the last few Octobers, so I've seen most of these before. But the Val Lewton stuff is always worth rewatching, and I've always had a weakness for Hammer horror.