View Single Post
Old September 26 2013, 07:34 PM   #567
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
David.Blue wrote: View Post
It isn't that simple. BSG brought in enough ratings that with the prestige it lasted four years and spawned two spinoffs (don't count on none others). DW went its own way yet listened to the fans, but listened rather than slavishly obeyed. Ditto LOTR.

And no matter what anyone does, somebody will complain. So what? When did everybody among the fans of a franchise like all the entries in it? Good God, even folks who adore The Hunger Games, half of them hate the third book!
And fans of Diana Gabaldon's bestselling "Outlander" novels are already in an uproar over the casting of the upcoming TV show. And the "Fifty Shades of Gray" fans are in an uproar over the casting of the movie, which hasn't even started filming yet. And I keep running into comic fans who are upset because Ant-Man isn't in the Avengers movies--because he was in the original comics, damnit!

Not sure when we decided that film-making was a democratic process, to be decided by fan polls and petitions? Or that reboots and adaptations had to be 100% faithful to the previous versions?
Now that you understand how the process works, we expect all your future Trek Tie-in Books, that you will post the Spec you are given to write from, so the Trek Fans can guide you to write it properly, and then post your finished product so we can have first crack at editing it, to ensure you did it right
If I had a popular book/tv series and the fans got pissy: I'd make a point to torch everything they loved in the series. I'd make it fire, pain, and misery for the fans. And wouldn't stop till they shut the fuck up.

George RR Martin had great quote about it: “Writing is like sausage making in my view; you’ll all be happier in the end if you just eat the final product without knowing what’s gone into it.”

Neil Gaiman has a equally valid POV about the "entitlement" of fans.

Yes, it's unrealistic of you to think George is "letting you down".

Look, this may not be palatable, Gareth, and I keep trying to come up with a better way to put it, but the simplicity of things, at least from my perspective is this:

George R.R. Martin is not your bitch.

You're complaining about George doing other things than writing the books you want to read as if your buying the first book in the series was a contract with him: that you would pay over your ten dollars, and George for his part would spend every waking hour until the series was done, writing the rest of the books for you.

No such contract existed. You were paying your ten dollars for the book you were reading, and I assume that you enjoyed it because you want to know what happens next.

And if you are waiting for a new book in a long ongoing series, whether from George or from Pat Rothfuss or from someone else...

Wait. Read the original book again. Read something else. Get on with your life. Hope that the author is writing the book you want to read, and not dying, or something equally as dramatic. And if he paints the house, that's fine.

And Gareth, in the future, when you see other people complaining that George R.R. Martin has been spotted doing something other than writing the book they are waiting for, explain to them, more politely than I did the first time, the simple and unanswerable truth: George R. R. Martin is not working for you.