View Single Post
Old September 25 2013, 06:46 PM   #105
TheGoodStuff
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The 90's Golden Age.

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
TheGoodStuff wrote: View Post
Im aware, from my years of lurking here, how many fanboys of TOS are here. As much as I love it, I view TOS as more of a nostalgia-trip than anything even close to TNG, DS9, VOY. It simply isn't as deep, as clever, as moving, as sharp....
Yes TOS fanboys are just lame whereas TNG, DS9 and VOY fanboys are deeper, cleverer, more moving and sharper.
Now that is pure inferal. I never said that. I said the shows are better written, acted etc. There was no attack on the intellect of fans. I simply meant that many here seem to have a 'TOS uber alles' mentality.

Nerys Myk wrote:
Yeah, that never happened on TNG...Q, "Ardra" Edo god,Douwd
Which is a handful of of examples out of hundreds of episodes. TOS recycled that same plot repeatedly.

CommishSleer wrote:
So its OK to take potshots at 'TOS fanboys' who are here. I thought that was meant as an insult. I can call myself a fanboy but I don't like others calling me it. Just because I prefer TOS over other Star Trek things I don't think I need to be scorned or ridiculed either.

I actually like lots in the other Treks and probably agree that Star Trek in the 90s was at its peak in volume on screen at least. I remember somewhere Wil Wheaton saying how his parked his flash car near Stewart's flash car at the parking lot and thinking that sort of think wasn't happening for the TOS cast in the 60s.
I just don't agree all the writing and stories and ideas in DS9, TNG and VOY were superior to that of TOS. Technobabble is not superior writing even though the words are longer IMHO
Now I will correct you right away: I am taking potshots at nobody. I love TOS [have the entire 3 seasons & movies on DVD and Blu-Ray] and am a fan myself. However some seem blinded to its weaknesses. I wish some would stop being so...hyper sensitive.

I said, cumulatively, TNG, VOY & DS9 have far better scripts, plots and acting. I fail to see how that can be argued. They have a vast amount of memorable episodes that were great. Im not saying TOS had none [though I think of the 3 seasons there are about 4 truly great episodes] simply that those 3 combined had far more.

I dont know why you are mentioning technobabble. If you count 'The Inner Light', 'Best of Both Worlds', 'Far beyond The Stars', 'Year of Hell' etc etc to be just technobabble then fair enough.

Its intriguing to see how many have taken my level-headed critique of TOS so personally. I apparently hate TOS and look down on others opinions because I dared to say the show is somewhat repetitive and not as good as the '90's shows.

Definitely not so.
#1. DS9 #2. TNG #3. VOY #4.ENT #5.TOS
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. - Gene Roddenberry
TheGoodStuff is offline   Reply With Quote