View Single Post
Old September 25 2013, 02:23 AM   #58
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
The Verdict: As I said, typical TV fare. Not bad, but not great either. Marvel movies on the small screen this ain't. It comes off like a less ambitious version of Heroes. I think we can expect some moderately interesting super-powered characters in street clothes along with a lot of plots and scenarios that fit within a budget but not much else. In the end, it's still part of the Marvel universe, so I'll keep it on in the background.
It's also Whedon, so I suspect the writing won't be worse than first season Heroes for the most part.

I don't really watch much of Whedon, but holy crap was it noticeable that he wrote this. Not that I'm complaining, I feel like that alone could get me through the show. The CSI duo I could probably do without (unless they start becoming far more three dimensional characters), but the others seem to work for the most part. However, if they start going with "hero of the week" plots consistently rather than build a story, I do think the show will start to sag. I also think they need to be a bit careful not to over-rely on the movies (obviously, the Avengers are an important part, but Extremis being the threat at the end there is a bit concerning). The show needs to stand on its own two feet.