View Single Post
Old September 24 2013, 10:54 PM   #39
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Making a Star Trek series that fits in with today's TV landscape

OpenMaw wrote: View Post
I don't understand why people act like science fiction is somehow unwanted on television? Battlestar, Doctor Who, and other shows of recent past show that science fiction will work just fine on TV.

Star Trek had a problem on TV simply because it was creatively dead. It wasn't willing to bend itself enough, and it had been run by the same people for decades. It needed a refresher.

As some of the writers and actors on early TNG said, it was some of the shows own self imposed and arbitrary rules that hurt it. The same is true of the twilight years of Trek.
BSG got cancelled due to falling ratings, it ended up with less than 1 million viewers. A Space Opera show, is going to need at least 2-3 million viewers on cable, and 3 times that much on Network TV.

Doctor Who is a British Show, with a budget nowhere in the vicinity of what it would be if it was an American show. Heck, the star of the show alone would be paid as much as the entire per episode budget of Doctor Who

There's all kinds of SciFi shows on the air, but, there are no American Space Opera shows, because they cost too much for the viewers they bring in.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote