View Single Post
Old September 24 2013, 10:12 PM   #93
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Re: The 90's Golden Age.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Call me old fashioned, but I think a movie should begin with the story, with a writer who actually has something to say.
Has Hollywood ever really operated that way though? Especially in regards to big budget movies?

Did Harve Bennett go to Paramount with The Wrath of Khan? They went to him. I'm also sure that they had a checklist of things that had to be accomplished by the films story (including killing off Spock). Much like Moore and Braga were given a checklist of things that had to be done in Generations.

I think when you have smaller, independent films the writers are much more a driving force. In big-budget or franchise films, the directors and the studios have a much bigger say in the product.

Is it the right way? I don't know? But it has been this way for a really long time.
That's some major parsing. Hober Mallow wrote much more about what he thought about the scripting process. Moreover, I don't think that the fact that filmmaking is a collaborative process, involving many people, negates his point.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote