Thread: Equinox
View Single Post
Old September 24 2013, 06:47 PM   #9
KaraBear
Captain

Re: Equinox

R. Star wrote: View Post
You don't call making a biological weapon to exterminate the Borg's enemies at cellular level in exchange for passage through Borg space butchering innocents for her own gain? All they did was have the audacity to defend themselves and included Voyager in that only after they tried tractoring, beaming away and boarding their ship and then were seen collaborating with the enemy that invaded them. Not that different from what Ransom faced. Killing beings to get his crew out of danger and closer to home.

I was talking about how Ransom justified the first space slug already being dead. I could easily see Janeway making the same justification... and it's a slippery slope once you engage upon it. What if the Krenim were still attacking and they needed two more to get past their space? Would she really say those two were worth the rest of her crew's lives? She twisted herself around so much with the Borg alliance, I could see her doing the same again very easily. She was already irrational in her decision making to the point of threatening to deactivate the Doctor, chewing out Chakotay for a birthday gift and thinking Voyager is conspiring against her.

As much as I poke fun at Janeway being horribly bipolar and inconsistent, nah I don't think she's evil. Heck I don't think Ransom was. I do think all three our our intrepid Starfleet captains(including Sisko since he was brought up earlier) have made dubious moral choices. Really if anyone we've talked about was evil it was that Max fellow. He seemed the most unrepentant about the whole thing.
at the time 8472 were not "innocent" they were dangerous and the enemy. Voyager hailed 8472 but they were ignored. The only contact they had with them was Harry being attacked and Kes getting threatening mental messages. That is very different than the lifeforms that Ransom encountered

chewing out chakotay for a birthday gift? she was completely right! they had such low energy and resources the matter from that watch would be used on something much more important than a gift. She wasn't yelling, or mean about it, just very matter of fact. How would it appear to the crew, to someone who is wearing a burned and torn uniform, someone who has worn through their boots, who need some medicine, and janeway is wearing something as silly as that watch.

as I said before she had oportunities before but never took them. She would not even use the dead "slug"

yes, Max was really the worst here, just about everyone else had a change of heart at the end.

overall, I'm not saying that I think she was right in her persuit of Ransom, or her attempt to kill the cylon, whether she was bluffing or not, anymore than I think that Sisko was right in destroying those colonies. But I do find it interesting that Janeway gets all the criticsm here for doing the same thing Sisko did simply because it was Janeway and it was Voyager
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote