View Single Post
Old September 24 2013, 06:37 PM   #11
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: What Kinds of Characters?

SolitaryJustice wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
  • I'd like to see a captain with a slightly eccentric quirk--perhaps a tendency to wear a somewhat non-regulation uniform or something--as well as possess an inclination to not always say the most politically correct things.
  • A sexy, but older female first officer with a good sense of humor and a tendency to say what people (as in the television audience) are really thinking at times.
  • A dirty old man as the chief medical officer, although his reputation is far more of a joke (started by the first officer) than anything real.
  • An alien science officer from a new species, but reminiscent of either Data or a young Spock.
  • A gruff noncom chief of security who doesn't talk very much, but lets his actions speak very loudly instead.
  • A dashing young male lieutenant who's a couple of years too young for his rank and a bit of an asshole(he doesn't play well with others).
  • Young female alien ensign from a race that only developed warp drive and joined the Federation a decade ago. Inexperienced as hell, but excited to be the first of her people to travel this far into space. We'll see a lot of things through her eyes, including some hard lessons to be learned.
Here's my issue. I like what you're saying here, but this falls into a Trek norm of "a captain, a first officer, a chief medical officer, a science officer, a security chief, and a young and innocent lieutenant..." I would love to see a crew with these characters, but not necessarily in their "assigned positions".
You've got me completely wrong here, because I'm listing more than their positions, but basic aspects of their personalities. I'm also trying to be brief and not write full page dissertations on each character.

It's got too much of the formula that drove people away. Think about it.... Every show had it's Data/Spock/Tuvok/T'pol, it's Scotty/Trip/O'Brien, it's Doctor/Bashir/McCoy... every reincarnation was new characters limited by the same position. Bashir, for example, could only be so much because he was a doctor. They pushed his envelope, but in the end, he was the doctor. I'd like to see something a little more fringe where the doctor maybe isn't a good guy, where the dirty old doctor was maybe once a cooker of some drug that we don't know about yet, or maybe he rolled with some thugs who needed patched up from time to time but he's really a cook or a pilot who just happens to practice medicine, and not well at that....
You've got to understand that each Trek show is going to be someone's first. So yes, there are going to be certain familiar character types, but we find that in every story. Every character is a particular type, be it a starship captain or a mobster. What makes a character unique is the way the character is written, how it's portrayed by an actor, and what happens to it during the course of the series.

And quite frankly, I totally hate to see any Trek characters (much less mine) go down the routes you suggest. If I want to see that, I can just look at the evening news, so no, I'll never be behind that (there are plenty of other shows where you can see that kind of stuff).