View Single Post
Old September 24 2013, 05:47 PM   #102
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

SolitaryJustice wrote: View Post
I don't own any Star Trek DVDs, unfortunately. Money and I are only briefly friends before it goes to feeding the family. Are you saying that DVD covers are canon now, too? Did the timeline split after Star Trek IV? After "Tomorrow Is Yesterday"? After "Yesterday's Enterprise"? After "Assignment: Earth" or "All Good Things..." or "Past Tense" or "Year of Hell" or "Future's End" or the Temporal Cold War in Enterprise? These are all relevant futures, right, because Abrams Universe exists and didn't change anything. It just threw out everything we knew about time and history in a Trek future. So Picard and Riker are having this conversation in an episode of TNG (or a movie) about something that happened 80 years ago, and instead of Riker saying "that was the mission where James Kirk was killed", he says "that was the mission where James T. Kirk negated our existance..." umm... wait... what?
Star Trek already established, way before Abrams ever touched it, that time travel comes in different brands.

1. Any change causes a new timeline to be created alongside existing timeline (Parallels)
2. Time can be rewritten, Butterfly effect (City on the Edge of Forever)
3. It’s impossible to change history/the future, any change you attempt to make will correct itself (I don’t recall a specific instance offhand)

The Bad Robot team has stated, that the Nero Incursion resulted in the first type.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote