View Single Post
Old September 24 2013, 12:25 PM   #43
IronWaffle
Ensign

Re: Is this the Enterprise theme that could have been?

Christopher wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
This is purely a personal thing. Either you like it or you don't. What kind of music or when really is immaterial.
Well, yeah, but I'm not talking about people's tastes in general. I'm referring only to those specific people who voiced objections to the very concept of a Star Trek theme being a popular song, as if that had never been done before, when in fact it essentially had been.
I don't have an issue with a pop song for an opener. While I think the theme they chose is lyrically relevant to the broad strokes of the show, what I find jarring is that after an intense cold open the song punctures the tension (and that's the commercial's job!). It's a shame because visually it is my favorite title sequence, in part because it is as specific as (with all due respect to Diane Warren) the lyrics are generic.

That said, I'm thankful that on the Blu-rays CBS has put a chapter stop after all intros. I've seen all the intros so much by now that I skip them more often than not. Much as I like TNG's rousing arrangement of TMP's theme, the credits are visually tedious. DS9 has always sounded stilted to me. For me, Voyager (my least favorite TV incarnation) has the strongest overall sound and visual one-two-punch.
IronWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote