View Single Post
Old September 24 2013, 06:42 AM   #277
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: News about early 2014 schedule

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Plus, part of the appeal of writing 5YM books is that I can basically go off and do my own thing without having to worry about meshing my plot with some complicated, over-arching continuity. I can see where that kind of collaborative enterprise can be stimulating in its own way (I enjoyed working out 4400 story arcs with Dave Mack), but there's something to be said for being able to work independently and explore my own favorite corners of the Trek universe without having to coordinate my efforts with eight other authors! Just as a personal preference.

Besides, its seems to me that the 24th century is in good hands these days!
The thing that disappoints me the most about TOS/5YM/23rdC books is the fact that they don't seem to have any real sense of continuity with other TOS books. Every once in a while there might be a reference to an older book thrown in by an author, but it seems to be an exception rather than a rule.

I would love to see TOS handled a little bit more like 24thC. I don't mean I really want or need there to be on-going arcs like TNG/DS9/VOY books, just a sense of flow from one book to the next. A stand-alone can still have a little reference to the last book or a little bit of set up for the next one just to get that feeling of flow, that they co-exist in the same universe.

But, that's just me. YMMV.