View Single Post
Old September 23 2013, 05:20 PM   #146
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Matt Jefferies and NCC-1017

CharlieZardoz wrote: View Post
That's quite fine by me though I'm happy to conclude that the original USS Constitution may have had a registry as far back as the 900's and that ships of this design might have been churning out for decades. It would go a long way to explain why by the 24th century it had been phased out while the Miranda kept going as that design was still new in the 2280's.
Well, if you want to interpret the primary phaser schematic as belonging to a Mark IX/01 starship (i.e. NCC-901) you'd be doing much, much better than Greg Jein who interpreted IX/01 as the Enterprise. (wouldn't that be XVII/01 ?).

And you could use the Operation Retrieve chart from ST VI referring to NCC-956 (USS Eagle, Constitution Starship II Class silhouette).

Of course, according to Matt Jefferies, the TOS Enterprise was the first bird of the 17th starship design series, but what makes these design differences (exterior and/or interior) is completely up to our interpretation.

CharlieZardoz wrote: View Post
BTW I'd love to find further reading on this if possible as I'm sure I can't be the first person to come to these conclusions.
I think we already presented the available facts in various threads, there is not that much more, I'm afraid.

According to my general life experience never assume that somebody has come up with this or that conclusion before. For example I'm not aware that some of my "radical" conclusions have been discussed before (e.g. deck numbering distinction between main decks and engineering decks of the TOS Enterprise).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote