View Single Post
Old September 23 2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Re: Best Regeneration Story

Emh wrote: View Post
MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
The Caves of Androzani is easily the best Regeneration story so far, War Games is a good story too if you can sit through all 10 episodes.
The War Games is one of my favorite Doctor Who stories hands down, but I think the regeneration scenes for The Caves of Androzani, Planet of the Spiders, and Logopolis are better (and they're all great stories themselves), although The Doctor's tearful farewell to Jamie and Zoe is always a heartbreaker.
The Doctor screaming "No, no, no, no, noo...." at the end is also good. You don't know if he's gonna regenerate at all until Spearhead to Space, and its the epitome of the Time Lords' cruelty towards him.

Personally, though, the regeneration in Planet of the Spiders is rubbish. I'm not saying they should've done an OTT regeneration ala NuWho, or even Caves of Androzani-like, but the fade is as generic as unexciting as it could get. Compare it to the Tenth Planet's regeneration, which was simply masterful, especially for the times. Easily the most underwhelming regeneration scene of them all (and I include Time and the Rani's regeneration scene, for the sake of the matter). Still... to see Tom Baker wearing Jon Pertwee's attire (or similar to it) after having gotten used to him with, well, his own trademark attire, its all good.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote