View Single Post
Old September 23 2013, 03:27 AM   #56
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: First-person narratives

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Ah, the danger of writing sex scenes in first-person . . .

True story: Many years ago, I was at a convention when somebody praised me for including a gay sex scene in my most recent story. This puzzled me since I didn't remember writing one (not that there's anything wrong with that). Then I figured it out:

That particular story had been written in the first-person and I guess I hadn't made it clear enough that that the narrator was a woman, so when she hooked up with a guy at one point, the reader had assumed that "I" was also a guy . . . perhaps because the story was by a male author?

Which just goes to show that first-person is trickier than it looks!
That's because you never go into the details!
Yes, obviously it wasn't a very explicit sex scene!

And, yeah, I kinda wonder how that reader missed the fact that the narrator was nicknamed "Tiger Lily."

(Obviously not a Peter Pan fan.)
By any chance, are you referring to the time travel novel we discussed in PM? (the one about pirates)

The first-person novels I'm most familiar with are () the Gor series. Most are written in first-person, and the one that isn't... well, I haven't gotten to that one yet, and am curious to see if there are as many "walls of text with a few semi-colons thrown in" as most of the others.

(Okay, it was my grandmother who got me started on those books; she saw the front cover of one of the earlier ones and thought it was something like Tarzan, which she approved of. It came as quite a shock to her when my grandfather read one and declared "Dis is da fil'tiest book I ever read!"[imagine a Swedish accent] I was in high school at the time...)

But on the other end of the scale, there's Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. That couldn't possibly be told in anything but first-person; we don't even find out the main character's name!

Steve Mollmann wrote:
The real question is, have there been any second-person Star Trek stories other than the "Which Way" books?
There's a Fighting Fantasy gamebook called Starship Traveler, that's obviously based on Star Trek. Even though it's a solo play book, the player controls the Captain, the Science Officer, Medical Officer, Security Chief, and two Security Guards. To this day I have not managed to solve that book (and don't anybody tell me the solution, either!).

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote