View Single Post
Old September 23 2013, 12:45 AM   #4828
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

BillJ wrote: View Post
Ln X wrote: View Post
Also I know what you mean by the feeling being off, it's like something is missing or Star Trek is trying to be something it isn't and it ain't working out.
Aren't you someone who admits to not having watched all of TOS? Star Trek: The Original Series and Modern Trek are two distinct animals. Star Trek was action-adventure and Modern Trek was more of a straight drama. So if you hold the Abrams films against Modern Trek, obviously something will feel 'off'.

Whether or not a person likes or dislikes the films, I don't think there's much argument that they were built in the image of TOS, not the spin-offs.
Bingo. Yank all the sci-fi out of it, and TOS is just a western or cop show at it's core--both things Gene was familiar with working on, and it showed in TOS. TOS was also more of anthology style show: a consistent set of characters from show to show aside, the writing was less focused on continuity and world building and more on telling a good story. They weren't overly worried with contradicting prior episodes.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote