View Single Post
Old September 22 2013, 10:21 PM   #84
Opus
Commodore

Re: STiD, Kirk and the Abrams Team

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
The comparison does not follow. Star Trek II and Star Trek Into Darkness are two completely different movies. It is true that both were popular for their day and that both have critics. But that is where your hasty generalization should stop.
I disagree. Fans in both times, about both movies, complaining about how the new regime in charge has changed what Roddenberry created to make a money-making blockbuster with no message. Both questioning if it should be considered "real" Star Trek. Both having disparaging comments about the writers and directors. Both thinking the films hold style over substance. Both complaining how they changed Khan into a one dimensional mustache-twirling villian. I'd say there is plenty to discuss about this interesting phenomenon. And with TWOK being held up (now) by fans as Trek's standard-bearer, I'd say the need FOR debate is necesssary.

This is not just a different Kirk, this is one that tells us Starfleet needs nothing but fly-by-your-pants Captains. The more successful he is, the worse this will get as far as arrogance, and, in the real world, he will get people killed.
This,what you just said - It's the whole point of Kirk's journey in the movie. He thinks he can do no wrong. He thinks his breaking of the rules is justified because no one under his command has died. Pike recognizes it. That's why he took his command away from Kirk. yes, Kirk is arrogant.

Kirk chasing down Khan, losing members of his crew, and ultimately facing down the barrel of Marcus' gun, he's forced to realize he's not perfect. He turns to his crew and apologizes. He gives command to Spock because Kirk now knows he's been wrong. He goes over to Vengeance with Khan to save his crew. And Kirk makes the ultimate sacrifice by saving his crew and ship. Kirk's soul-searching brings him face to face with that arrogance, and he beat it. Now, on to the five-year mission...

And this is not at all an interesting character to this fan.
I hope someday in the future there will be a Trek you enjoy again, because the other point of posting the Interstat quotes was to show that Trek has continued despite fan outrage. Abrams Trek will not last, just as Roddenberry, Bennett and Berman Trek did not last. Someone else will take up the Trek mantle again. Be patient.

Cheers!
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote