View Single Post
Old September 22 2013, 07:03 PM   #54
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: The hate at "Genesis"

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Except they weren't responsible, they were under the influence of the "T-Cell" infection. When it comes to the deaths aboard the ship, the only responsible party was Doctor Crusher.
That was exactly my point. Dr. Crusher, who ends the episode cracking jokes.
KaraBear wrote: View Post
if I really wanted a science lesson I would watch a documentary, not a science FICTION tv show
You misunderstand what science fiction is and what it's not. There must be some standard for the science of the story, otherwise it's not science fiction; it's fantasy. But even fantasy must have some logic and consistency to it.

I just happened to read this bit from Isaac Asimov in his book, "Magic," and immediately thought of the above quote in this thread. It concerns the fallout from Asimov's panning "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" for its bad science and faulty logic.
...one and all, they came down to the same plaintive cry, "Why do you criticize its lack of science, Dr. Asimov? It's just science fiction."

God, how that stings! I've spent a lifetime loving science fiction, and now I find that you must expect nothing of something that's just science fiction.

It's just science fiction so it's allowed to be silly, and childish, and stupid. It's just science fiction so it doesn't have to make sense. It's just science fiction, so you must ask nothing more of it than loud noise and flashing lights.

That's the harm of Close Encounters: that it convinces tens of millions that that's what just science fiction is