View Single Post
Old September 21 2013, 07:45 PM   #14
Mario de Monti
Captain

Re: The Undiscovered Country and Yesterday's Enterprise

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Care to mention exactly what was considered 'outrageously unfair' in the Treaty of Versailles? As opposed to other treaties signed throughout history.
So just because this kind of thing has been done before (and after) means, it can´t be described as ´outrageusly unfair´? How about, that significant parts of Germany, that had been part of it for almost 50 years, were annexed by neighboring countries? Or the fact, that the final loans made in the 1920s for paying reparations could only be repaid by Germany as recently as 2010??
BTW, a treaty is by definition a "means of willing parties assuming obligations among themselves, and a party to either that fails to live up to their obligations can be held liable under international law." (Wikipedia)
When you dictate conditions to a defeated country, that has no other choice but to accept the terms, it can hardly be called a "treaty".

I know that´s not to the point of this thread, but I wanted to comment anyway.

Mario