View Single Post
Old September 20 2013, 03:42 AM   #58
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Section 31: Disavowed - Dec. 2014?

Sci wrote: View Post
Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
^To be honest, though, The Good That Men Do notwithstanding, I do NOT see how an organization-wide collapse of something like The Bureau would be particularly believable or realistic. To paraphrase Michael Crichton, The Bureau has survived everything, in its time--it will surely survive Bashir...
"Pride goeth before a fall."
And frankly, it was pretty "prideful" of Vaughn to assume that 31 was behind the events of Insurrection, when part of the point of the conflict of the movie was that the Federation, in these desperate times, was inadvertently turning blind eyes to "small"--yet highly important--things. When your reasoning is only "Oh, well, we know better--it had to have been 31", I think you've got a pride problem.

The original Star Trek: Section 31 miniseries twelve years ago went to quite a bit of trouble to end with each captain learning of Section 31's existence and vowing to bring it down, and Section 31: Abyss established the continued existence in 2376 of the anti-Thirty-One cabal Kirk established in 2268 at the end of Section 31: Cloak.
Well, technically, the DS9 book wasn't Sisko (or Ro) centered--it was Bashir. But that's spitting hairs.

Anyway--as for Picard and Janeway (and even Vaughn)...to the best of my knowledge there is absolutely no follow-up to those vows.

If we see the final fall of Section 31, I suspect the Kirk Cabal will come into play, not just Bashir.
Still, the thing to keep in mind is that 31 has much more experience in covert activities than the Cabal--assuming the Cabal does much, being little more than an anti-31 club, as far as the books seem to reveal.

(By the way, anyone curious as to exactly why we don't see any follow-up to Bashir's recruitment into the Cabal? I'd imagine at least, after learning of...well hints of 31 involvement in his life, lately, Bashir would be contacting the others, expressing his suspicions and concerns about you-know-who....)

BTW--take what I say below with however much salt you must, as I'm currently waiting for my copy of the latest DS9 book to come in, but...I'm still of the firm belief that--

You just want Julian and Ezri to get back together.
Strike "just" from there, and sure! But it isn't only that. Consider:

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote