View Single Post
Old September 19 2013, 11:21 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

Re: Abrams' Alternate Reality/Shatnerverse similarities

Ketrick wrote: View Post
Good point, but what about the same type of Borg connection in both continuities? I suppose they also could be coincidental, though that seems a bit less likely than the conspiracy-theory stories thing.
Not at all. It's a common fan impulse to hypothesize connections between characters or species that vaguely resemble each other. I've seen many variations on "The Borg created V'Ger" or "V'Ger created the Borg" bandied about online over the years, even though neither makes one damn bit of sense. (V'Ger didn't even know that organic beings were living things. How could it be the creation, or creator, of a race of cybernetic-organic hybrids? Not to mention that V'Ger's technology was so advanced it made Borg tech look like horse-drawn carriages. Even The Return admitted that V'Ger and the Borg have practically nothing in common and had to concoct an immensely convoluted excuse for how they could be connected after all.)

Anyway, I wanna make clear I'm not necessarily saying the Shatnerverse books are being drawn on by The Supreme Court. I'm just pointing out the similarities between the two realities.
The fact is, different creators independently coming up with similar ideas is something that happens all the time. It's a routine fact of life for just about any writer -- one of the main reasons stories or script pitches get rejected is because the publisher or TV series is already doing something similar.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote