Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

78. Riddick: B+
79. Percy Jackson: Lightning Thief: B
80. The World's End: C+
81. The Other Woman: B
82. The Other Guys: B-

This oddball comedy cop movie starring Will Ferrell and Mark Whalberg as the cops in the Detective pool that no one else takes serious is mostly amusing. It starts by showing us just who the top cops are, as played by Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne Johnson. They are only in about the first 10 or so minutes of the movie though. Mark Whalberg as Terry has been saddled with Ferrell's Allen because he mistankingly shot Derek Jeter in the Subway and that caused them the Yankees to lose the World Series. Allen is more or less just an internal affairs desk jockey given this assignment, I think to burden Terry. I don't recall it being specifically said why he's a detective other than he wanted the position. He clearly doesn't want the danger as he avoids all the "dangerous" calls, letting others take them which drives Terry crazy. The police captain is played by Micael Keaton who is a bit bizarre himself and uses phrases from TLC songs on occasion. Not going to summarize the whole movie but it was largely enjoyable just not one I'd want to own or re-watch anytime soon. Usually Ferrell, like Sandler, has a few scenes that are just too stupid to be funny but here Ferrell's character has a mild side to him, keeping back 'Gator', that works for me.

If I hadn't already seen The Other Boleyn Girl in the last few years or The Others I'd watch them just to keep the trend alive.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote