Thread: Photo hunt
View Single Post
Old September 19 2013, 09:42 AM   #226
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher
Re: Photo hunt

Took me a bit of digging, but here's it is!

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
It is a haphazard dish, and everything can be changed according to taste, I often use a combination of canned, fresh, and frozen beans and veggies, but it's up to the chef. Here is how I do it:

-In a large pot, saute a white onion and 3 or 4 cloves of diced garlic in olive oil.
-Add a small can of sliced green chilis.
-Add a chopped chayote squash and chopped green beans, maybe green and red bell pepper (any fresh or frozen veggies, canned veggies later)
-Add freshly ground black peppercorns (it makes a difference!)
-When it's nice and browned and smelling yummy, pour in: 3-5 cans of beans (I usually do red beans, black beans, and sometimes chickpeas), 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can corn, 1 can tomato paste, any other canned veggies you want.
-Add a dash of salt (more if your canned beans are unsalted or if you used dry beans), a splash of vinegar, a spoonful of sugar.
-Season to taste with: chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper
-If you really want to wow them, though less diabetic friendly, add 1 bottle of beer.

Cook as long as possible over low heat. The leftovers just get better and better as they sit in the fridge.
What I did to make it fit my palette more was remove the sliced green chilis.