View Single Post
Old September 18 2013, 11:12 PM   #4805
Opus
Commodore

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Michael001 wrote: View Post
The first movie with this new crew was very good and set the stage for a whole new Star Trek.
Agreed.

With this latest offering they have taken the arguably the best Start Trek movie of all time "Wrath of Khan" and bastardized it! Nothing new and a very poor adaptation of the original.
It had Khan, and a few nods, but it was hardly an adaptation of TWOK. Not in the least. Alt Universe characters having different experiences resulting in different outcomes - In essence, it's "a whole new Star Trek".

Reversing the characters Kirk for Spock, in one of the most memorable scenes not just in Star Trek history but in cinematic history was a travesty.
Ummmm... No.

I was embarrassed.
Really? Embarrassed? 51 years old? Really?

What's with senior star fleet crew not only having a relationship but openly kissing on deck? I must be getting old and presume this sort of rubbish is aimed at a newer generation. I can't believe the new Star Trek viewers are that stupid!
TOS, Season 1 - Court Martial:

Areel Shaw: Do you think it would cause a complete breakdown of discipline, if a lowly lieutenant kissed a starship captain on the bridge of his ship?
Captain James T. Kirk: Let's try.
[they kiss]
Captain James T. Kirk: See, no change. Discipline goes on.

Or you can go with, "It's a 'whole new Star Trek'."

Character development in this movie was puerile. Again, I must be showing my age but what's with the casual relationship and interactions between the captain and his subordinate officers and crew?
TOS Season 2 - The Trouble with Tribbles:

Capt. Kirk: Mister Scott. Where - are - the tribbles?
Scott: I used the transporter, Captain.
Capt. Kirk: You used the transporter?
Scott: Aye.
Capt. Kirk: Well, where did you transport them?
[the others are looking away, trying to appear not involved]
Capt. Kirk: Scott, you didn't transport them into space, did you?
Scott: Captain Kirk! That'd be inhuman!
Capt. Kirk: Well, where are they?
Scott: I gave them a very good home, sir.
Capt. Kirk: WHERE?
Scott: I gave 'em to the Klingons, sir.
Capt. Kirk: [whispering] You gave them to the Klingons?
Scott: Aye, sir. Before they went into warp, I transported the whole kit 'n' caboodle into their engine room, where they'll be no tribble at all.
[Entire Bridge Crew Laughs]

Or - It's "a whole new Star Trek". Either answer works.

I just wanted to vent and will never post another comment. I joined today just to express my disappointment to people who might understand.
Hmmmmm... Yeah... seems legit...
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote