View Single Post
Old September 18 2013, 06:13 PM   #23
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

Re: how do people feel about robert orci and Kurtzmen returning?

I liked the first movie better and the first movie was written by Orci and Kurtman only so....

To tell the truth, I don't really feel anything. I'm just glad that Lindelof isn't involved since I can bet that most of what I didn't like in the last movie was his fault (and Orci more or less confirmed it so..)

I'm tiny bit more worried about JJ not directing it because we don't know who will replace him yet and it could be some very mediocre guy. Personally I think that a trilogy is better when handled, written and directed by the same guys if only for the sake of having a definite style but that's me.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Ln X wrote: View Post

The second request would be to place Kirk and Spock a bit more in the background and focus on the other main characters.
It is the Kirk and Spock show, they are the iconic characters. No one in the general audiences really care about the background characters.
define "no one" I care about the background characters too and if fanworks/fan communities are any hint of it, I'm not the only one. In the star trek reboot fandom Uhura and Bones are almost as popular as Kirk and Spock and a lot of people want to see more of the other characters too.
Many different opinions for sure, far from a "no one".
From some perspective, too much focus on K/S alone can be not only problematic and a huge hinderance for the franchise and these characters, it also makes their relationship terribly forced and pretentious as hell in the eyes of a modern audience (so Ln X might be onto something with this point)

I think that the general audience, meaning non-hardcore trek fans and people that got interested in the franchise thank to the 09 reboot - and thus don't have the same emotional attachment to these characters that trekkies do - are precisely the ones who care about the ensemble not just Kirk and/or Spock (there are tons of Spock/Quinto fans that could care less about Kirk and viceversa ).
Besides, the Kirk/Spock show (or more like the Shatner's show) was a result of its time. Last time I checked we were in the 2013 and I thought I was watching a modern reboot.