View Single Post
Old September 18 2013, 01:15 AM   #201
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral
Re: STAR TREK the enemy of LOST IN SPACE?

Christopher wrote: View Post
And I'm really sorry I brought it up, because I do not want to see yet another thread dragged off-topic by people who can't stop complaining about Abrams. Okay, you didn't like the movies, we get it, but this thread isn't about that. So let's get back to Trek vs. Lost in Space, please.
Just for the record, I respected your request and haven't posted about the Abrams films in this thread for the last two days....

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Oh please. As someone who also saw TOS first run on NBC; the above argument makes little sense as there was PLENTY that TOS (especially 'The Cage') 'got wrong' too. I mean hell, they are 18 light years from Talos IV; yet at 'Timewarp Factor 7' - get there in about 30 seconds. Amazing Kirk's Enterprise which was certainly upgraded/refit with newer components after 12 years, could seem to match that speed, etc.)

And if you go by the first run Nielson ratings of Star Trek - in general, audiences didn't 'buy it' (IE it didn't 'earn their suspension of disbelief') on the initial run either.
You can nitpick TOS all you want, that won't change my purely subjective opinion, to which I am entitled, that TOS has a much better Right : Wrong ratio than the Abrams films.

I don't even hate the Abrams films...I'm on the fence about them. But god forbid I should post two sentences about them that aren't glowing with praise, lest I be chastised for being one of those unreasonable Abrams haters.

And if the TOS's original broadcast ratings had any bearing whatsoever on its fandom, this board wouldn't exist and we'd all be dispersed between boards about Bonanza, The Andy Griffith Show, and Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In.

Last edited by The Dead Mixer; September 18 2013 at 01:35 AM.
The Dead Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote