View Single Post
Old September 17 2013, 05:32 PM   #210
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Re: What Happens After Death

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
If I had a Euro for every time I heard this, followed by some not-entirely accurate statement about space science, I'll be... well, not really a billionaire, but a comfortably wealthy man.
Please do enlighten me. I don't quite recall what Professor Kaku said on the science show, so I was paraphrasing.
Well, I was mostly joking, but calling the synthesis of heavier elements in supernovae as "the spark of life" is sure poetical, but hardly accurate.
You're right. I'm assuming what some scientists meant by the spark of life is that space debris from the explosion of a dying star could eventually lead to the formation of planets, such as Earth, that could sustain life. Meteors and asteroids are believed to carry building blocks of life, but that's just a theory.

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post

Fear of what comes after. The fear of death can be a powerful motivator to believe that there is something beyond this life, that no, you don't have to end. That is the basis for many religions. The trappings were added later.
I would like to add that myths were conceived by ancient civilizations to make sense of the world and phenomena around them - life, death, birth, sunrise, sunset, light and darkness, etc. If early humans had the knowledge and understanding of everything that we do now, I doubt there would've been any use for religions at all. Yet the belief in a higher power is so ancient and is such a strong driving force that religion has become a way of life for many people all over the world. And I don't think it's going to disappear anytime soon, unless an asteroid suddenly happens to wipe humans off the face of the earth.
This is true. As someone who has grown up in a very fundamentalist family, I can verify that statement about religion being a way of life. Not believing is a completely foreign concept; it's the same as not breathing. I remember telling my mother that I was agnostic, and her response was "you still believe in Jesus, right?"

It's like that old joke, where a priest asks a man, "Are you Catholic or Protestant?" The man replies, "I'm an atheist."
A moment later the priest responds, "Okay, then, so are you a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist?"

For many it seems to be a lifestyle, where every decision, every moment of life, centers around the concept of what a god or gods would want, and how their plan is supposed to play out for you.
I grew up in a religious culture. I was born and raised in a predominantly Catholic country in southeastern Asia, where I still remember the amalgamated traditions and customs of a devout Christian society. Half of my family was Catholic; the other half, independent congregationalist.

And believe me, I've questioned my faith many, many times, but the belief in a higher power is often strongly embedded in the psyche; it's almost hardwired (at least for people who were brought up in religious homes).

Last edited by Gryffindorian; September 17 2013 at 06:04 PM.
Gryffindorian is offline   Reply With Quote