Old September 17 2013, 12:22 AM   #108
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Where are the toys?

James wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
James wrote: View Post

There is no #1 toy store now...
It depends on how you look at it. Toys R Us is indeed the biggest actual toy store chain (as in specializing in toys), but Walmart sells more toys by volume.
Target and Walmart are in perpetual battle for the #1 spot,
It's actually (by share of the toy retail market):
#1 Walmart (30%)
#2 Toys R Us (18%)
#3 Target (17%)
http://www.ehow.com/info_8479565_big...retailers.html

Another website with unsubstantiated numbers?
No, it's an independent business website. You're only calling it unsubstantiated because it disagrees with your opinion.
Heh As a consumer I know more about the toy market than this site does.
Heh. Apparently not when it comes to knowing which retailer dominates the toy market.

I've been collecting since I was a kid, I played with most of the toys as a kid...
Good for you, but it really means nothing here.
That website doesn't know shit, I know first hand that Target gets more merchandise more often than Walmart.
That website apparently knows far more shit than you, since it confirms that Walmart is the biggest retailer in the world and Target really doesn't even come close.

In 2012, Walmart recorded sales of nearly $329 billion in the U.S. while Target recorded nearly $72 billion in the U.S.
http://www.stores.org/2013/Top-100-Retailers
Walmart's ability to move merchandise pales in comparison to Target.
It's totally the other way around. In fact, the reason why Target and Toys R Us even go into a toy price war every holiday season is to keep Walmart from totally running away it.
Target is a more upscale retail chain as well.
So? This is about who sells the most toys, not who keeps the most expensive toys on their shelves.