View Single Post
Old September 16 2013, 03:12 PM   #8
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Re: Kirk & Marcus - Next Film Thoughts?

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
Gsam wrote: View Post
just off of the top of my head I would say if they took the criticism about INTD lacking an original story line and have decided to go original for the next movie then I don't see how Kirk/Marcus is anything but same old, same old.

I would prefer that they go more character driven professional story line and skip the romance. They are not very good with it
Given that we were never shown any hint of the original Kirk/Marcus romance until over 20 years after it ended and they had a grown son that Kirk didn't know about, I'd say actually seeing them falling in love would be original. Even in TWOK it's an afterthought because they wanted to set up Kirk having a son and she's never mentioned again, while David is.

It would also be original to show Kirk in a steady relationship given that he's best known for falling for whatever woman shows up and they grease up the lens for her and then moving on.

It's the exact opposite of how they've portrayed Kirk and any woman, I welcome it.
It would be original, but I don't know if it would be exactly the opposite of how Kirk was portrayed. I think Kirk was always aware that his affairs with women were shallow. He always seemed to wish he could have a stable and permanent relationship, but it was impossible because of duty, or tragedy would intervene. Besides Marcus, he's said to have almost married a tech at the academy, there was Arlee Shaw, Janice Lester, Antonia, and even Edith Keeler and Miramanee. Yeoman Rand was always "look but don't touch."

So, a healthy and strong relationship between Kirk and Marcus in this case would be truly novel, but more for giving Kirk something he may have actually always wished for than being the opposite of him as love-em-and-leave-em. In fact, I'd expect their relationship to fail as Kirk starts to realize he can't make the kind of commitment he wants to make and be the type of starship captain he believes he needs to be. Kirk's life and love is the Enterprise, and no woman will replace her. He can't have both.