View Single Post
Old September 16 2013, 02:56 PM   #11
Opus
Commodore

Re: STiD, Kirk and the Abrams Team

So it seems STiD might have some redeeming qualities. That's positive.

Consider this. I believe a number of people here expressed this:

And most importantly, shouldn't we expect a Trek production to reflect its original intent? I expect a movie to at least reflect SOMETHING of the original ideology. To me, STiD failed miserably in this area. Therefore ,it isn't the real Trek in my opinion. Merely a reflection of its look, its feel. Anotherwards, it is a dramatist's view which is enjoyable but unbelievable; a real space opera... You are right. JJ did his best. Does that mean I have to swallow it whole? And who said the movie had to be perfect? The TV show wasn't, why should one expect it of the movie? Maybe a few fanatics, but the majority of us just want the real thing. And I wouldn't worry too much about what JJ and the makers think. They're rolling in the bucks, and success has made them content to start another... And I am happy for those who were satisfied with STiD and got some type of deep meaning from it. Myself, I hope the next film will try and do a little more justice to its creator by expressing its original message.
ETA:

It looked like Trek and it smelled like Trek, but it definitely did not taste like Trek.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote