View Single Post
Old September 15 2013, 05:39 PM   #317
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: TF: Revelation and Dust by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

JWolf wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
JWolf wrote: View Post
This is a really hard book to rate. The reason that it is so hard is because the other books in the Fall mini-series could take this book to a new level or could drop it in the toilet. It isn't 100% complete on it's own. That's why it really needs to have the other book(s) out to see where things go and what happens.
And that is why it fails.
On it's own, it doesn't fail. It's how it does with the other books that matters. I don't care that it's not 100% self-contained. It's part of a mini-series.
But here's the thing, we're told on here that all the stories can be read independently of each other, even on memory beta it says this:

Star Trek: The Fall is an upcoming five-part Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Titan miniseries that will be released between late 2013 and early 2014. The series is set over a sixty day period, but each novel will have a self-contained story. The Typhon Pact is to be the antagonist throughout the series.
So yes, because it can not be read as it's own thing, it needs the other Fall novels to be 100% complete in your, and my opinion makes it, in my opinion fail.

I'm sure once all five novels are released and read, this one will be retroactively improved, but as it stands now, on it's own, independent from all the others, it is lacking and it fails because it can not be enjoyed on it's own in my opinion.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote