View Single Post
Old September 15 2013, 05:08 PM   #77
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

Ln X wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I can understand some disagreements on the perceived qualities of the various iterations of Trek. But it's starting to get out of hand. It feels like some folks are coming to this forum just for the chance to pick a fight.

I'm not a huge fan of Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise but I don't feel the need to rush into those forums and take a dump on something other people obviously enjoy.

It's starting to feel mean-spirited and I really think that is sad.
The problem is that every Star Trek fan -- irrespective of what series he likes -- watches the movies. The reason why this STID division is bigger than most is because it ain't a clash of different ST, it's a clash of quality or even the Star Wars vs Star Trek argument.

The first group appears rather happy with what is a rather average, at best, movie. While the second group sees STID for what it is and is one more Star Trek film running on vapours. The same kind of vapours which had Nemisis, VOY and ENT limping along.

I think the biggest point of contention is that STID suffers from this post-millennial malaise where films pass muster with alright characters, a threadbare plot and some decent action scenes. But older films have done such things in a far better way and Star Trek is not supposed to be Star Wars. There is something more fundamentally amiss with STID which is far bigger than the potential problem being a different series, a different cast or something.

Finally to SeerSGB. You are absolutely right about the fact that if you think really hard you can rip any Trek film to pieces and find like several or so major plot holes. But why not tally up all the plotholes in STID, I bet the final number would be greater than either Star Trek V, Insurrection or Nemesis!
And only a few posts up, I asked that people (including you, by name) stop taking pokes at groups of fans for enjoying something which you may not have enjoyed. You now have a warning for trolling; comments to PM, please.

EDIT:

And BillJ...
BillJ wrote: View Post
Ln X wrote: View Post
The first group appears rather happy with what is a rather average, at best, movie. While the second group sees STID for what it is and is one more Star Trek film running on vapours. The same kind of vapours which had Nemesis, VOY and ENT limping along.
Oh Lordy, Lordy!!! I've finally seen the light!!! How could I possibly enjoy something that I find fun and exciting!!! I've been following the false Trek prophet Abrams and am now seeking absolution!!!

What a fucking joke.

Why are you and others so damned convinced we don't know what we like? How is a pair of movies that are thought of highly by viewers and just produced the highest-grossing installment in the franchises history, running on vapors?

<snip>
Don't be quite so quick to take the bait. Try just ignoring it for a while.

Last edited by M'Sharak; September 15 2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: additional content
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote