View Single Post
Old September 15 2013, 04:22 PM   #13
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Re: Trek BBS RPG: 01 - Rules and Character Posting

Timewalker wrote: View Post
I'm interested, but it would be a steep learning curve. I'm not at all familiar with this gaming system.
It's pretty simple after you make a character sheet. Here's one I pulled offline↓

I can tell he's witty, knows how to move, stands out in the crowd, and is able to manipulate the situation. He's skilled in the mystic arts, knows his way around a lock, how to hide, he's social, a good liar, (I don't know why their is three unfilled boxes in Athletics but lets say it's 5) he's very fast. Notice his written in skill Specialties. His merits are probably on another page but I won't get into that until a group is formed to discuss a Star Trek merit list.

I didn't go in detail on this but the object of the game is to complete tasks given by rolling dice (chance). There's always (at least) two numbers you're going to add to find your dice pool, a Skill and it's parent Attribute. Skills break down into three types; Mental, Physical, and Social skills. Mental skills roll with it's parent Intelligence, Wits, or Resolve attribute, depending on the situation. Physical skills roll with Strength, Dexterity, or Stamina. Mental skills roll with Presents, Manipulation, or Composure.

Let's say Nick (our magician sample) during an act wants to break out of a straitjacket, while hanging upside down, and the only way to get down is to unlock the lock binding his feet.

First he'll roll athletics + dexterity number in dice to get out of the straitjacket, which is 8 plus another die for having the escape artist specialty. 7 or up on a ten-sided die gets him a success. 0 successes and he's stuck. He could try again but the crowd is aware of his troubles. 1 successes gets him out, in time. 4 or more and the crowd is amazed, with even more amazement per additional successes.

Next, he'll roll Athletics + Stamina to not pass out, 6 dice for him. 0 successes and he passes out. With endurance rolls, sometimes you won't get a second chance and will need assistance. 1 success and he's light headed and -1 die on focus type rolls. 4 or more and you wouldn't think he knows he's upside down.

Then he'll roll Larceny + Stamina to unlock the lock with the pick he pulled out of his hair. Generally, unlock rolls are Larceny + Dexterity but he's upside down. 0 successes and he re-rolls Athletics + Stamina to not pass out. 1 success and he gets it with -1 dice to stamina rolls due to fatigue. 2 or more would get him out fine here (you can't really extravagantly open a lock).

Finally, he'll roll Athletics + Dexterity to land. 0 successes and he falls on his head taking damage and loosing health ('X' in health box/boxes). 1 success and he lands on his feet and stumbles up. 4 or more and he flips forward doing a double flip before landing.

If he spent a Willpower ('X' in one of his boxes) before his roll he'd add +3 dice to his roll and (not normal but with my trekbbs system) 9s and 10s count as 2 successes. He could also spend a Willpower after a roll to re-roll the original number of dice (not +3) and he'll also get 2 successes for 9s and 10s. He didn't fill in his Virtue and Vice on his sheet but if he accomplished his Vice, he'll get one Willpower back, accomplishing his Virtue gets him all of his Willpower back. Sleeping in-game gets him one willpower back and a new game resets willpower.

There is also critical failures (0 successes and the majority of your dice are 1s causing negative effects throughout the scene), mistakes (more 1s than successes causing accidents during a scene or a mistake to occur throughout a scene), and exceptional successes (5 successes or more granting additional dice and/or perk throughout the scene).

The Game Master (GM) sets a goal and the players (and their rolls) tell the story. It's a good game for story tellers. The more people, the more interesting the story becomes. I wouldn't start a Star Trek game without at least a Doctor, a Security Officer, and an Engineer (or Science Officer). I would like an all around skilled Commander but I could run a GM Captain.

Edit: Critical failures, mistakes, and exceptional successes.

Last edited by bbjeg; September 15 2013 at 04:59 PM.