View Single Post
Old September 15 2013, 03:47 AM   #54
Christopher
Writer

Re: No female starship captains in the 2250s-60s?

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
It's interesting to consider that in TOS was there ever an occasion where a woman gave an order to a man on the Enterprise? I remember Rand tried to in 'Naked Time' or maybe she was trying to stop men sexually harrassing her.
Actually she just stood there ineffectually and had to beg Spock to order the crewman to leave her alone -- which didn't last long.

Keep in mind, this is the same Janice Rand who, in "The Enemy Within," seemed to take the position that the captain was entitled to sexually harass her if he really wanted to.

I got the impression that Charlene Masters was in charge of the guys in her section (even though she didn't have the Lt bands on her uniform).
Indeed; when she invited a male subordinate to have coffee, he joked, "Is that an order?"

I watched TOS for the first time in the 70s and you sort of accepted the type of sexism that was in it them. At least they had some women aboard and some of them weren't secretaries, some were scientists, doctors and even Captains or First Officers (if you count aliens like Mara and the Romulan Commander).
Mara was Kang's science officer. TOS fans tend to fall into the habit of assuming that science officer and first officer are the same post, but that's not usually the case.

Now I look back and choose to think they did have women captains and command crew - that we just didn't see them. LOL. At least the dialog in TOS didn't rule it out completely.
And TAS, which was set during the same 5-year mission, did have Uhura command the bridge a couple of times, though only when the menfolk were incapacitated or unavailable.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote