View Single Post
Old September 15 2013, 12:26 AM   #35
OpenMaw
Commander

Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Khan was just screaming "kill him!" to Chekov and Terrell right before beaming up Genesis. My god, I seriously can't believe what I'm reading.
Yes, and when he hears Kirk's voice, and what he says to Kirk, it becomes clear that he changed his mind, and why not? Khan had taken control of one of the most potentially devastating weapons ever devised and Kirk's voice is obviously reflecting that he's lost control. "You're going to HAVE to come down here...!" Grasping. Why wouldn't Khan let him live to suffer? Knowing the Enterprise will be destroyed and Kirk will be presumed dead by anyone coming to look.

Ln X wrote: View Post
Kirk is a juvenile hothead and Spock should have been made captain.
Well, y'know, to Kirk's (and the writers) credit. He admitted as much while talking to Spock. Which justifies what has happened into the story up to that point. I was never happy that Kirk was promoted so fast, but that scene in STID where Kirk owned up to everything that had happened and basically said "Yeah, I have no idea what i'm doing." It cleaned that slate for me. It was a great moment for the new version of Kirk.

STID isn't a perfect film, but it is by no means the worst. I'd even go as far as to say I had a lot of fun with it and would put it in the higher end of the curve.

Even if it does have a number of flaws, you know what it doesn't have? Large quantities of boredom. And I don't mean "Slow paced" I mean "I couldn't care less about the plot or the characters because it's so pat and dull." IE, most of the TNG movies.