View Single Post
Old September 14 2013, 07:20 PM   #140
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: Spoilers in Books: A Discussion.

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Did you ever watch the Columbo movies? The suspense in those wasn't in finding out "whodunnit" - that's shown from the get-go. In those movies, the suspense is in following Columbo's investigation, trying to spot the one tiny detail - the one little mistake - the murderer makes that tells Columbo who he/she is. Who cares if the murderer is usually the special guest star? The suspense is in the story itself. I'd have been quite upset if someone had blabbed the solution to Columbo discovering that (in one episode) William Shatner did indeed kill the victim. We know that happened. What the audience wants to know is how Columbo figured it out.
No, I never liked Columbo. Where's the mystery when the crime is shown explicitly, but the "little details" aren't actually shown to the audience? There isn't even the possibility of Columbo not figuring it out. So then it's just a tedious story of how the famous detective caught yet another killer. Woo-f-ing-hoo. B-O-R-I-N-G!

...But secondly, it was a way of drawing the audience in further: "You have experienced this mystery, and now you know the answer. This makes you special, in that you know something the rest of the people don't. By knowing the answer from watching the play, you're a participant in the solution, and that's a wonderful thing. Please don't deprive others of this same special feeling."
Ugh. Keeping secrets doesn't make people special.

Also, as some have pointed out, books don't simultaneously appear in all bookstores at the same time. And not everyone has a Kindle or other e-reader. So it's entirely possible that a book can come out and it can take someone a lot longer than 6 months to actually get it, never mind read it.
So why would you spend time on a bulletin board reading about the books you've not been able to find, buy and read?

This is one reason why I rarely post in this forum. There are approximately 10 years' worth of ST novels I haven't read, and even though I have many of them now, there was a time when I couldn't even afford them second-hand nor could I get to a library to borrow them. So I'm hopelessly behind. And I do the responsible thing and stay out of threads where I know people are talking about these books.
What is "ten years' worth" of novels? Ten novels, or a thousand novels? How fast do you read? And do you really think catching up is realistic at this point?

Where the danger lies for me is if I'm reading a thread about a book I've already read, and a recent post from someone who's further along could say, "This reminds me of what happened in the novel that came out last month..." and then they proceed to give away plot points about something recent in a thread that's actually about something else. THAT is what I object to. It's inconsiderate.
What's inconsiderate is thinking that the rest of the posters must stop and consider you first before posting. What makes you think people like me want to post here if we have to walk on eggshells to avoid offending you?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote