View Single Post
Old September 14 2013, 05:36 PM   #38
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Jurassic Park 4 becomes 'Jurassic World'

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Jurassic Park 4 is a doomed concept, I'm certain of that. It has all the traits of films that bombed and sucked. They don't have an inspired idea for a story, but they want another film. This kind of motivation has never resulted in a good film.
I wish I could disagree with you, but you have the history of forced movie sequels backing you up.

Aside from that, I am not a fan of movie series that take breaks of a decade or more between installments. Yes, I eagerly awaited the Star Wars prequels, and then Indy Jones 4, but those served to illustrate a sad truth: When you come back to make a new installment after so much time, it just doesn't feel the same. The best sequels come out between one and five years after the previous film (and naturally flow from the story of the previous one rather than trying to copy it).
The last Rocky was ok. Quite often, sequels one after the other start to run out of steam (Rocky 5 is a good example). Sometimes, inspiration can lead to a good new movie. Usually not a great one, but, let's be honest, there's nothing great about either Jurassic Park sequel.

I do hope some effort will be made to capture the magic of the original. Certainly, a good story will help, but part of the appeal of the original was that it wasn't a monster movie, it was a movie with wonderful animals (who also happened to want to kill you, but that's besides the point). I give the second one credit for trying even though the execution was poor. The third one didn't really try and that's somewhat disappointing. I hope the fourth isn't just a monster movie.