View Single Post
Old September 14 2013, 05:30 PM   #79
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Imagine the TOS Starfleet

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I don't recall any "anti-Vulcan" sentiment in early TOS.
For one thing we have the Talos IV file with its "Half-Vulcan Science Officer".
It does have a xenophobic ring to it.

Then we have this piece of dialogue from "Whom Gods Destroy" (okay, late TOS but referring to pre-TOS events):

KIRK: I agree there was a time when war was necessary, and you were our greatest warrior. I studied your victory at Axanar when I was a cadet. In fact it's still required reading at the Academy.
GARTH: As well it should be.
KIRK: Very well. But my first visit to Axanar was as a new fledged cadet on a peace mission.
GARTH: Peace mission! Politicians and weaklings!
KIRK: They were humanitarians and statesmen, and they had a dream. A dream that became a reality and spread throughout the stars, a dream that made Mister Spock and me brothers.
GARTH: Mister Spock, do you consider Captain Kirk and yourself brothers?
SPOCK: Captain Kirk speaks somewhat figuratively and with undue emotion. However, what he says is logical and I do, in fact, agree with it.

So there was armed conflict during the time of Garth of Izar which eventually enabled Spock and Kirk to become "brothers".

This also indicates that Human-Vulcan relations were not that great some time prior to TOS.
Maybe Vulcan was too embarrassed to tell Earth there were pre-Surak colonies out there and the crew of an unsuspecting Earth ship visited one of these colonies and wrongly assumed to encounter logical, friendly Vulcans...the diplomatic ramifications would have been enormous.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote