View Single Post
Old September 14 2013, 05:07 PM   #1288
Christopher
Writer

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I must admit, that while I have no problem with the casting of Affleck, I don't really care for the idea of pairing off a Superman at or near the start of his career with a weary and tired Batman, who's been at his job for a long time.
Actually I kind of like the idea of contrasting them like that. And really, MoS Superman in particular has so far fallen very short in terms of being a hero; he's achieved a few useful things, but only by following others' instructions, and there's a lot he could've done that he failed to do (like saving more bystanders or finding a better way to deal with Zod than just obediently doing what the villain told him to do). So this Kal-El needs some serious instruction in how to be a superhero. Given that, it makes sense to pair him up with a veteran who knows the game and is able to slap some sense into this guy and get him to start living up to his potential for a change.

It makes me wonder how long they plan to keep this incarnation of Batman around for. Affleck is 41 but looks younger while Cavill is in his late 20s, playing his early 30s.
Cavill is actually 30 now.

For comparison, Robert Downey, Jr. was 43 when he first played Iron Man, and will be 50 when The Avengers: Age of Ultron is released (though will be 48-49 during filming). Chris Hemsworth is currently 30 and Chris Evans is currently 32. Mark Ruffalo is now 45 and Scarlett Johansson is 28.

So no, I don't think it's essential for the co-stars in a superhero movie to be of equivalent age. I think WB wants Affleck to be the DC film universe's equivalent to Downey (in front of the camera, and Whedon behind, perhaps). And he's younger now than Downey was when he first played Tony Stark, so honestly these "He's too old" objections are rather bizarre to me.

I would've thought that the plan would be to use this movie to reboot and relaunch a series of solo Batman movies, without the need for an introduction or origin movie, but if Batman is meant to be tired and weary already, I wonder how much scope for solo movies there could be? Perhaps the end of this movie will see him reinvigorated and animated in his mission; I don't know.
Personally I'm glad we don't get another origin story. It's time superhero movies started to move beyond that trope.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Green Hornet isn't a DC hero.
Correct; he was originally a radio character who then appeared in film serials and a television series, as well as a recent film from Sony/Columbia. He has had various comic-book series over the decades from various publishers including Harvey, Dell, Gold Key (very briefly, based on the TV series), NOW, and Dynamite Entertainment, but never DC. I suppose people make that mistake because the '60s TV series was from the same production company that did Batman. But that was the only crossover between the Green Hornet and DC characters, as far as I know.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote