View Single Post
Old September 14 2013, 04:27 PM   #61
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: Re-writing the climax of STiD

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Do you honestly think 99% of viewers even noticed or cared about the physics issues of the Enterprise falling to Earth or whether other Starfleet ships came out to fight?
The physics? No. But a 1 on 1 ship battle right on Earth's doorstep without any intervention from StarFleet is a pretty big plothole. Especially after the entire movie is spent telling us how Earth is gearing up for war with the Klingons and that should include some defense for your home planet.

Movies should make sense and character actions should be believable.
You hold all the other Trek films, TV shows, books, etc. that employ the same dramatic tactic (which is all that is) to the same high standard, right? Because, if so, that's a lot of Trek history --including some great films, episodes, and novels-- that you've just labeled as having an unrecoverable flaw.

I know the usual suspects are now going to whine about how they should be able to complain about a flaw in STiD without having to compare it to examples of the same flaws in prior Trek and blah blah blah, but I don't care.
I'm not sure why you're jumping to the conclusion that because I pointed out a flaw in the film that I therefore consider that flaw an unrecoverable flaw that ruins the film. Yes, the "only ship in range" flaw exists in quite a bit of prior Trek and I'm not giving those shows a free pass. Nor am I claiming that this flaw ruins the film. Take my post at face value and don't read so much into it. I had problems with the film, but I rather liked Into Darkness.

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
6. It's a fucking movie and this has happened 100 times before now with no one making this much fuss.
Uh, no. People complained about that flaw quite a bit in Generations, TMP, Best of Both Worlds, and lots more. Stop treating everyone who points out a flaw in this film as an obsessed nerd who holds the rest of Star Trek up on a pedestal. As I said to Locutus, stop reading so much into each individual post and take people at face value.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote