View Single Post
Old October 10 2006, 07:30 PM   #66
nevermore
Admiral

Re: Ratings are in !

^It's not worth arguing about. Just to reiterate the parts of my post you didn't quote, ratings have a more complex relationship to the shows and the all-mighty advertizing dollar that people seem to grasp. BSG does well in the demos that sci-fi and their advertizers care about. It always has. Beyond that, the money for DVD sales, downloads etc. goes into the equasion as does the acclaim and attention (read free advertising) that the show brings to the network. Stargate, Farscape etc. never brought those sorts of freebies to the network. They just didn't have the same added value that BSG has. To think that Sci-Fi's decisions regarding BSG are tied to a couple tenths of a ratings point is naive.

I understand that people feel they have been burned with those other shows, but I've agreed with the cancellations that are oft cited to villify Skiffy, so I suppose I'm coming at it from a different perspective. And, no, I'm not clutching at my security blanket, mostly because I'm not a child and just don't care enough to need one.