View Single Post
Old September 13 2013, 08:59 PM   #68
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Imagine the TOS Starfleet

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
This Side Of Paradise was produced before Immunity Syndrome. I doubt the idea that McCoy was drunk and couldn't recall history ever crossed the minds of the writers.
The scene is from The Conscience of the King and McCoy is drinking Saurian Brandy. In the episode he doesn't appear drunk but looking at some of the lines he delivered, I might get second thoughts.

MCCOY: Would you care for a drink, Mister Spock? ... Now I know why they were conquered ... Lots of things go on around here that I don't know, Mister Spock. ... Come on, have a drink ... if you won't join me, don't disapprove of me. At least not until you've tried it, huh?

There are other occasions where McCoy isn't that good with history. Given the choice whether to believe Spock in IS or McCoy in CK, I'd rather listen to Spock.

Bob
Irrelevant as the line is still from Season One even if I screwed up the attribution. The writers intended that the Vulcans were conquered in Season One and then changed their minds by Season Two. One can rationalize and make excuses, but the writer's intent is clear. Neither Spock or McCoy are experts in the pseudo-history presented in Star Trek they just say what the writers want. Spock's evolution ( and by extension the Vulcans) made that early Season One line incompatible with what he'd become, so they ignored it.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote