View Single Post
Old September 13 2013, 05:25 PM   #274
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Was the Enterprise A actually the Yorktown?

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
Well, both the Excelsior and Defiant say "First Starship of Her Class" but given that both of these are a different style from the TOS style plaque, I don't consider this an invalidation of the other theory.

Besides, you can hack that up and make it "(First) Starship (of her) Class."
Hmmm, That could be a good alternative. I'll have to include that as an option to my answers for what class is the TOS Enterprise?
Part of the reason I find this explanation so advantageous is that it mirrors the reality of the CVN-65, which bore some great resemblances to the Nimitz class but was in fact her own class. And since we know the Starship Enterprise was more or less named for her...

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Maybe "U.S.S. Enterprise - Starship Class" was just too concise and therefore they felt it to be necessary to be more specific in later dedication plaques.
I think that explanation totally works.

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I just rewatched the opening scene of "Court Martial" (TOS without R) and we see the Enterprise just arriving or orbiting but without any repairs being done on her.

I still advocate the "upgrade" interpretation, especially since there is evidence that upgrades were performed (i.e. Stone realized Enterprise needed an upgrade in addition to the repairs).

Here is the Deck 7 Engineering Control Room from "The Naked Time". Notice that there are only two horizontal tubes behind the grating in the "cathedral".

Here is the Deck 7 Engineering Control Room from "Court Martial". You will notice that now there are three horizontal tubes behind the grating.

Since this upgrade is obvious, there is no reason to doubt that Stone was looking at an upgrade status chart and the still to perform upgrades on the Enterprise were not yet "complete".
Ah, now I see what you mean - you mean that it was likely many of the changes that we see in the sets were done at this particular instance?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote