View Single Post
Old September 13 2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Where'd This Phase II Cutaway Come From...?

Maurice wrote: View Post
I think it's safe to say there there was no MSD per se for Phase II from which to make a "reproduction". Looks like someone took Jefferies' simple cutaway and plugged in a ton of detail a la an Okuda MSD. Nice work, but to call it a "reproduction" is misleading.
Totally agreed.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Perhaps it was made for the Phase II fan series? In their last vignette, they upgraded their Enterprise to resemble (at least externally) the one planned for the unmade "real" Phase II.
I wondered that, myself. They date it as Star Trek: Phase II, 1977, though.

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I'm really not aware that that is where Matt Jefferies suggested it to be.

On the contrary I'm rather confident that the vertical shaft connecting engineering and saucer hull had been considered by MJ to be a power line (and not a turbo shaft) as early as the TOS schematic in the bridge alcove.
I knew if I said "exactly" I was getting myself into trouble. Still, you must admit it makes a lot of sense eh?

Part of the reason I feel so confident, at least about the location of the Phase II engine room, is the added square hatch between the two nacelle struts - which to me seems to correspond exactly to where the Mike Minor intermix chamber might be. Working back from that, we might suppose that this would replace the previous engine room.

YMMV, naturally.

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
There's also a Phase II pre-production sketch (where did I misplace that? ) that clearly shows the "Mike Minor" reaction pods in the bow of the engineering hull and hints the vertical intermix chamber coil we'd come to see in TMP.
Fascinating. I'd love to see that.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote