View Single Post
Old September 12 2013, 07:54 PM   #264
BK613
Captain

Re: Was the Enterprise A actually the Yorktown?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
@ QuinnTV

@ AvroArrow

Captain's Log, Stardate 2947.3. We have been through a severe ion storm. One crewman is dead. Ship's damage is considerable. I have ordered a non-scheduled layover on Starbase Eleven for repairs. A full report of damages was made to the commanding officer of Starbase Eleven, Commodore Stone.

Theoretically he could have already been at the starbase for several days, but then it's rather odd and unusual that it takes that long before he finally reads the report three times in Stone's office and laments about the death of a crewman (it didn't take him that long to talk about this?).

Again, the context looks rather clear. The ship has been damaged, requires immediate assistance, arrived at Starbase 11, Kirk delivered his report (re-read it three times to make sure he didn't overlook damage) and prompted Stone to re-assign a team to the unscheduled Enterprise because it had priority to carry on with whatever mission she had at the time.
I disagree with this assessment. The report that Kirk is signing is not a damage report, it is a formal statement (sworn deposition) on the circumstances of Ben Finney's death. According to the log entry, the damage report has already been made (notice the past tense.) My timeline would be:
-Ion storm
-Assess damages/search for Finney
-Order the layover
-Send the report
-Arrive/begin repairs (Kirk would have seen to this first IMO)
-Deposition and log extract.
Captain's Log, Stardate 2948.5. Starship Enterprise remains in orbit around Starbase Eleven. Full repairs in progress. I've been ordered to stand by on Starbase Eleven until the inquiry into the death of Lieutenant Commander Finney can be conducted. I'm confident of the outcome.

Now - and not before - "full repairs are in progress". Kirk is visiting the starbase club and tells his friends that the Enterprise is laying over for repairs and for a "couple of days". He can't possibly tell how long that's going to take but apparently he estimates more than just two days. YMMV.

Bob
All you can say though is that at 2948.5 "full repairs [are] in progress." They could have been in progress from the moment Kirk made the previous log entry and this log entry would be the same (assuming that they were still in progress).