View Single Post
Old September 12 2013, 05:49 PM   #16
Jeyl
Commodore

Re: Episode of the Week: 3x11 "The Hunted"

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
PICARD: Number One, will you note in our report that if the government of Angosia survives the night, we will offer them Federation assistance in their efforts to reprogram their veterans.
RIKER: And if the government doesn't survive?
PICARD: I have a feeling they will choose to.
"if the government of Angosia survives". So a whole society is on the brink of a potentially violent and brutal uprising, and our enlightened Picard's reaction to this is just to be tepid. And this is how you want to tell a story about war veterans being unwanted in society by having our enlightened heroes just shrug it off and hope they don't kill everyone. Well since we never heard from the Angosians again, I have a feeling they didn't survive the night.
I actually liked this bit.
If you wish to explain, I would like to know why this bit works for you. Not to counter you or say you're wrong (it's your opinion and I respect that), but so it will help me see something that I may be missing. All I see here is Picard hoping for the best even though he should have the diplomatic experience and means to bring a resolution to this conflict without being so pompous. He could have offered the Prime Minister the resources needed to help bring these soldiers back into society as a sign of good faith that the Federation wants what's best for everyone. The Angosians wouldn't have to default their economy, and the soldiers can be brought back into society. This would have given the Angosians a taste of what it means to work together with other cultures while still giving them a choice if they want this kind of assistance or not.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote