View Single Post
Old September 11 2013, 08:13 PM   #348
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Dune - The Book and the 1984 film *spoilers for both*

I don't find God Emperior's story to be that difficult, and thats the most important part. I tend to just glance over the boring philosophy stuff and everything involving visions/the golden path in the books after Messiah, and I definately remember the books after GE not being so full of that stuff, so I'm fairly sure my opinion of GE won't change. It has a decent story thats not as good as the first three books, combined with probably the stupidest looking tyrant/villain I've read in a sci fi book (Leto shpuld have just stayed as a human in a living suit, whenever I imagine him as a giant worm with tiny arms and a human face I just find it funny, and not very threatening). I call him the villain because he's the biggest evil in the series up to that point (although you could arguably call Paul Atredies the most evil character, but I'm sure Leto beat Paul's kill count early in his reign). The villains of Heretics of Dune and the other later books were worse, but Leto is the probably the worst villain in the history of Dune's universe up to that point outside of the Thinking machines.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote