View Single Post
Old September 11 2013, 07:40 PM   #346
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: Dune - The Book and the 1984 film *spoilers for both*

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
The book left me with the same questions it always does, mostly about why the hell Jessica did everything in her power to seemingly try to turn Leto into an abomination...
*sigh* Jessica wasn't trying to turn Leto into an Abomination. She wanted him tested to see if that's what he was. Because he had Pre-Born memories of the gom jabbar test Paul went through, it was pointless to test his humanity that way. The method they used in the book was the only way they could figure out how to do it.

Next up is God Emperor. I read it once a long time ago, so it will be interesting to see how it is on a second read, this time while I've been reading most of the series in a short period of time. I'm just going to say that, from what I remember, this will probably still be the weakest of the main Dune books, but I remember liking it. I don't remember if its heavier or lighter on stupid vision stuff and the "golden path" than CoD, although I'm not holding my breath for it being lighter.
God Emperor of Dune is simultaneously one of the most complex - and most boring - books I've ever read. It's taken me over a dozen re-reads to even begin to understand it, and that's with the help of people who have done a deeper study of it than I have. I'd tell you where to contact them if you're interested in this, but I warn you - they HATE people who like KJA/BH's crap.

It's not "light" reading, by anyone's standards.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote