View Single Post
Old September 11 2013, 07:30 PM   #345
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Dune - The Book and the 1984 film *spoilers for both*

In my Dune reread, I finished rereading Children of Dune (this is probablt atleast my 5 time). Its actually a bit of a harder read than I remember. Thats probably because I've read it enough times that I want to get on to God Emperor, which I've only read once, so I've just wanted to get through it. Its a good book, although its my least favorite of what I think of as the three main Dune books (Dune, Messiah, and Children of Dune) and thats probably why I've taken so long in reading it (I'm a fast reader, but I put reading this on hold to read the newest Star Trek book, which is why it took longer than normal for me to finish).

The TV mini series (the sequel to the mini of the Dune which combined Messiah and CoD and had most of the same cast, exceopt Jessica's actor was replaced by the borg queen from First Contact) is actually my favorite way to experience CoD. The Dune mini was great, and this one was just as good if not better. Even though its very loyal to the book, it doesn't have some of the annoyances of the book, plus Leto and Ghani are teenagers played by adult actors, which I honestly like better than the really young versions in the book. Also, the guy who plays Leto is the same good actor that plays Professor X in X-Men First Class, which is cool.

The book left me with the same questions it always does, mostly about why the hell Jessica did everything in her power to seemingly try to turn Leto into an abomination, but its not enough to ruin my enjoyment of the book. It went overboard with the parts of the first books I thought wasn't done well, like all of the poorly explained vision stuff. It also starts talking about (and never really explaining) the stupid "Golden Path" that turns out to be absolutely pointless in the end, and stuff like that is why its my least favorite of the first three books. But, it still has a lot to enjoy and isn't a bad book by any means, its just not as good as Dune and Dune Messiah.

Next up is God Emperor. I read it once a long time ago, so it will be interesting to see how it is on a second read, this time while I've been reading most of the series in a short period of time. I'm just going to say that, from what I remember, this will probably still be the weakest of the main Dune books, but I remember liking it. I don't remember if its heavier or lighter on stupid vision stuff and the "golden path" than CoD, although I'm not holding my breath for it being lighter.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote